An occupational therapist is a trained specialist who helps people learn to carry out everyday activities.With children, occupational therapy could be done to improve their :
- Fine motor skills.
- Gross motor skills
- Cognitive skills (thinking and organizing) involving physical space and objects
- Hand eye coordination (copying from the blackboard, playing catching the ball).
- Self care skills
- Helping children with behavioural issues find physical outlets to express their anger or frustration a better manner.
- Helping children with sensory processing issues express their needs more appropriately
BENEFITS OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
- Increased independence and self-confidence.
- Improves handwriting
- Improved ability to concentrate and complete schoolwork
- Improved academic and social-emotional skills.
- Aids a child in developing communication and language skills.